Southeast High Speed Rail Tier 2 D-EIS
VHSR and SEHSRA’s Position: We support the continued advancement of, and investment in, the Southeast High Speed Rail corridor to link our region with fast, frequent, and reliable intercity passenger trains.
· Transportation congestion:
o Avg. resident along the SEHSR corridor spends 213 hours annually in traffic or commuting to work.
o Avg. flight into or out of destinations along SEHSR corridor is delayed 55.6 minutes.
o Population of Southeast expected to grow 26 percent in the next 20 years.
· This study is the final step in a federally mandated process and must proceed for the expansion of high speed rail connecting the Washington to Petersburg and Raleigh to Charlotte corridors.
· The corridor alignment selected must aim for the least environmental impact and the greatest return-on-investment for the public’s money.
· Ensure city center to city center connectivity access to public transit including at the following stations:
o Richmond’s Main Street station
o Raleigh’s new Union station
o The Petersburg passenger rail station must have the necessary utility for trains traveling to both Raleigh and Norfolk.
· Support the multi-use greenway trail concept where it doesn’t impact the feasibility or the cost of advancing the SEHSR corridor.
Public Hearing Dates:
Hearings begin at 7:00 pm with a public viewing beginning at 5:00 pm
Greater Richmond, VA
Virginia DMV Cafeteria
2300 W. Broad Street, 1st floor
Richmond, VA 23269
Wednesday, July 21, 2010
Greater Petersburg, VA
103 River Street
Petersburg, VA 23804
Thursday, July 22, 2010
Greater Dinwiddie County
Sunnyside Elementary School
10203 Sunnyside Road
McKenney, VA 23872
Monday, July 26, 2010
Wake County, NC
Raleigh Convention Center
500 South Salisbury Street
Raleigh, NC 27601
Tuesday, July 27, 2010
Vance County, NC
Aycock Elementary School
305 Carey Chapel Road
Henderson, NC 27537
Thursday, July 29, 2010
Franklin County, NC
Franklinton High School Gym
6948 N. Cheatham Street
Franklinton, NC 27525
GPS users should enter “Cheatham & Vine, Franklinton, NC”)
Written public comments must be recieved by August 30th, 2010. To submit comments online, click here
For PDF version of talking points, click here
For Study: http://www.sehsr.org/deis/deis.html